Via Charlotte, a gender meme. I found this quite difficult to do, as although I think of myself as quite unusual in not reinforcing gender stereotypes, and I particularly think that my relationship is quite unusual, you really have to assume some gender stereotypes to answer this meme. And some of them would probably be quite offsensive to most of my readership! But it was quite thought-provoking, nonetheless. I don’t think I’m as iconoclastic as I like to think (or else I find the stereotypical hard-shopping, appearance-obsessed woman too offensive to invoke, even for a light-hearted meme).
1. Three things you do that women usually do
Read fiction. Blush. Cry when I’m angry
2. Three things you do that men usually do
Take out the rubbish. Manage our family’s finances. Kept my birth name when I got married.
3. Three things you do that women usually don’t do
Earn the only significant income in a family of four. Read mostly non fiction. Enjoy a good steak.
4. Three things you do that men usually don’t do
Blush. Speak softly. Shave my legs
5. Three things you don’t do that women usually do
Wear make-up. Cook any significant part of our family’s food. Organize the childrens lives (remembering whose birthday party to go to, when they have a school excursion, or a fancy dress day, etc etc).
6. Three things you don’t do that men usually do
Change the tap washer. Organize tradesmen. Be the main driver in the family car.
7. Three things you don’t do that women usually don’t do
Enjoy rugby. Play drinking games. Play golf.
8. Three things you don’t do that men usually don’t do
Organise our family’s social life. Wear perfume. Wear stockings.