I’m watching a documentary about 1 year olds on the ABC, which was inspired by this study of Australian children. It’s the first part of a study that’s going to be happening every two years.
It’s funny, every time I see a study like this, I’m itching to get my hands on the underlying data. There is quite a lot of analysis of parental working, and the time that children spend doing different things, and with which parent.
But there is no data about the number of stay at home dads (something I always want to know about).
What you can glean from the study though: The person who knew the child best was designated Parent 1. In 97% of cases, that was the mother – presumably the other 3% were fathers. The mother was significantly more likely to be working when her child was 4-5, than 0-1, whereas for the father it made no difference.
And in a time use study, children on average spend one hour a day awake with their father and not their mother (whether they were 0-1 or 4-5) and five hours (4-5 year olds) or seven hours (0-1 year olds) with their mother and not their father.